Monday, August 22, 2011

Obesity who's a fault ?

Submiited by Steven L. Pate

       A couple of week ago I had a check. My doctor told me I was obese for my height I'm about 5'8 and weigh 225lbs. After veiwing the clips in class today I never considered the impact society had on what we eat but after being informed I'm more aware now. Eating is a part of survival but damn we have to be careful of what we eat because it can kill us slowly high blood pressure, diabetes and some cancers. I live in what would be considered as the ghetto, and the stores in that area sell grease special and sugar bonuses cheesesteaks, fried chicken wing, ice cream and candy bars. Shoot I just made a meal out of that last night at work. Being in colllege and have a fulltime night jobs has done wonders to my diet. Not to far from where I live ther is a Whole Foods but that place is expensive hell. I can't afford to but food from there one time I brought a meal to prepare for myself and it cost me almost $40 shit I can go to the neighborhood store like Save A Lot and buy food for three day but it not as healthy. Big government creates these problems but I'm responsible for what comes out of my wallet and into my mouth.Maybe I need to start fasting a couple times a week to give my digestive system a break from the destruction I'm initiativing eating these unhealthy food or junk is a better term and get closer to God "Lol. I could start excercising more making a conscience decision to drink more water,eat fruits,do cereal for breakfast. Big government is aboyt money and always will be. I'm resposible for my health like the saying goes garbage in garbage out, I need and will make better food choices to enhance the quality of my life and hopefully other individuals can and collectively we can change the obesity graphs and in we spend our money on healthier food we can be healthier as a people physically,emotionally and intellectually. We as can effect change when we make changes within ourselves no one is putting a gun to our head making us be consumers of this crap. Ultimately the choice is ours. It's our fault if we are not aware. Ignorance is bliss. After being informed you can't go back to acting like you don't know. We should request government to encourage healthy food choices through grants and tax breaks, I beleive this could make a difference and lower health care cost.
      

4 comments:

  1. Priscilla L

    Steven, I completely agree with you. If our government wasnt so worried about money and was more worried about our well being than they would try better to enforce being more healthy. They wouldn't have waited so late for the obesity epedemic to try and attempt to do something. And maybe if some Whole Foods and other organic places were a little bit cheaper things would probably be more easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steven, I agree with you 100%. The Government needs to offer programs to help obesity. The USDA regulates what we should eat and how. They have changed the food pyramid several times. After watching the video's in class I ran home and made myself a huge salad. People always complain that salads are dry and boring. There are so many ways to make a salad more edible. I add cheese, lunch meat, baked chicken, salmon, or even shrimp. It takes a lot of effort to eat and live a healthy life. The West Philadlphia YMCA is really attacking obesity. They use a persons health insurance to offer discounted memberships. To get my membership I only have to pay $2 for 12 visits until I become a full privalged member. This is one way I can see that that the Gvernment is helping up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steven, in your blog post you mentioned the fact that nobody forces us to buy this unhealthy food it is true no one does but what can we do if we cannot afford healthy food. it is not our fault if we were born into poverty we don't get to choose a family to born into. the question is who should we blame? i also know that it is not because we are poor that we should be obese or have other type of disease caused by a bad food habits i wanna get to the point that we can still eat junk and do a lot of exercises and even eat a lot of fruits and vegetables once in a while that way we can stay healthy somehow. I also agree with your idea of requesting the government to do something about this situation of bad food habits

    ReplyDelete
  4. cause if it doesn't change the life spent of the next generation will be short because there will be a lot of death caused by high blood pressure, cancer, or even diabetes. so this is really important

    ReplyDelete