Saturday, August 13, 2011

NO HOMO!!!!

Submitted By: Brandon Julien       
  Since birth children are groomed to take on the roles of their gender. Boys get everything blue, they play with trucks and toy soldiers, and their behavior must be aggressive, tough, and dominant. While girls get everything pink, they play with easy bake ovens and dolls, and their behavior must be sweet, dainty, and submissive. Functionalist believe that the way they condition both sexes is necessary for social stability. They view women taking the expressive emotional role and men taking the practical role. Like race and ethnicity, gender has an enormous influence on people's lives.



         Family, peers, and the media reinforce gender role stereotypes for both men and women. I chose the title No Homo because homophobia also contributes to gender role socialization. Since adolescence I can  remember insulting my peers and vice versa if they would say anything "gay". You immediately received a negative sanction."What you say....no homo nigga." As you became older it was more important to follow such guidelines into your right of passage as a man. Some critics argue that gender roles in modern society are based on women being "inferior" to men. I agree because of a countless observation at social arenas, such as the workplace, the "average" household, educational institutions, and even in our nation’s government.



1 comment:

  1. I do agree with you, that in our society we are groomed from birth for gender roles. Boys are not suppose to play with dolls and girls are not suppose to play with tonka trucks. Girls are suppose to wear pink and boys are suppose to wear blue. Girls are suppose to want to be like their mothers , and boys are suppose to want to be like their fathers. I think we should really take a deeper look at that. If a girls father is a doctor what's wrong with wanting to be like him to follow in his footsteps. If a boys mother is a teacher what's wrong with the boy wanting to be a teacher; we difinitely need more male teachers in our school system. Is society helping or harming us. I can honestly say that neither of my sons wanted to play with dolls; but if they did I don't know what my reaction would have been, also my daughter didn't want to play with tonka trucks. Would it really be so awful if my sons did want to plays with dolls? Would that have made them gay, or if my daughter wanted to play with tonka trucks, I don't think so. But it wouild have been a issue in my household because my husband strongly disagreed with it. I must disagree with you regarding women being "inferior" to men. I just have one thing to say NONSENSE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete