Friday, August 12, 2011

Gender Roles as a Man

Submitted  by Johnathan Dickinson

What does it mean to be a man? Being a man takes on several roles such as providing for a family, working outside of the household, and protecting the family. The reasons behind why a man is looked at for these things are that society placed them in. When I say men have to protected the family I mean that when they have a family they are looked at by keeping the family as a whole and keeping them happy. Men are also looked at being the secondary parent who maintain the rules in the house and make sure everything is provided for the household. In addition, men as they are growing up they are looked at to have a girl friend, play sports and to help with the family so that they will already know what to do when they start a family of their own. It all depends on where I am at to where social influence affects my day-to-day experiences and choices. When I am at home, it is harder to be open about my sexuality then it is to when I am at school. When I am at home, I do not really know everyone I will meet and how they would respond to me being open and how I go about portraying myself threw out the day. Now when I am at school people have a better understanding of what the gay community is like and more people are out and open to where people do not judge as much as it would be in a large city. People are not as judgmental and are friends with a person because of who they are and not what they are. When it comes to me I do not portray a normal man because I am gay I sometimes take in a few roles that women have. I do not base my life on the guild lines on what everyone is to do and what is expected of him or her. Yes, I am a man I do plan on have a full time job and taking care of my family but even with straight men, they too will often take on household work and asset with other motherly duties. I as a person do not follow what is expected because I feel that everyone should do what he or she want to do in life and not listen to what society tells him or her what he or she should be doing. I believe that we have come out of that error to the point that we share roles and do not look at anyone different because of that. My sense of being has changed for me a lot knowing that I am open and feel like I am more comfortable with myself and who I am now then I have been. I do not care anymore of what people think of me and how I live my life. To each its own is a saying that goes along way and has a great meaning to it and that everyone should go by it. It will show how people live in a world that they do not care about one's life style but looks more at people at who they are and what they are about. As I was growing up, I was just like any other boy I would play sports and watch them. I would take girls out on dates and to my school dances. At a point in my life so fare I would sometimes ask myself why am I asking like this I know I like guys and it would be nice to date one. Therefore, in high school I had my first boyfriend. Now at first I was scared to tell anyone but my closes friend and keep everything privet. By the time I was a junior I was also dating girls but when I liked a guy I was not afraid to tell people and my friends did not care to the point they would talk to me about it to get a better understanding of who I was and it helped me out in the long run. Now that I am in college people now I like guys and if I have a boyfriend or a friend they can hang out with me and be around me because they look at me for who I am and not because I am gay. There is also a better understanding of how gay people do half of the time follow the roles that are placed in society and people do not know if they are gay or straight and some of those people do not come out until later in life when they feel most comfortable with themselves. We are general growing in a society when gay males are not looked down upon or judged for whom they are but how they play a role in society today. When people realize they can live a life without being judged they will be able to live at their own free will and society as we know it will become greater as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment