Thursday, July 21, 2011

Is Technology the Problem?

Submitted by (Julian T Moran):

What's technology? Technology is nature manipulated by man and created into an object the satisfied our "wants." Technology is art and it’s beautiful! These are the reason why I am proud to call myself a computer programmer. Now you know that this blog will be bias, but I will try my best to put on my "sociological imagination glasses" on. On the other hand, Eitzen states that technology often encourages isolation(The Atrophy of Social Life) and I agreed with his statement, but he forgets to mention that the misusage of technology is the problem. Technology is not creating isolation, but the misusage of technology. In fact, all of his examples are describing the misusage of technology. If you agreed with the definition of technology state above then it should be clear that the misusage of technology is the problem. Essentially we are creating isolation because we "want" to; for example, I often put on my headphone and my music is not even playing, so I can avoid speaking to others. Now is that technology fault or the misusage? Technology only exists because of our "wants". It keep on growing because our wants changes. We don’t need technology, but sense we have it why not? Facebook, Twitter and MySpace are great way to keeps us in touch.  Netflix and air conditioning are technology for our comfort.   Skype, FaceTime and many other are great program to have a face to face conversation with the one you love! Like sated before technology is art and it’s beautiful.
Here a link to a youtube video: It's a comical video, but it shows my points.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_shMNBC77CA

3 comments:

  1. Submitted by Rob Brown

    I am the same way, but my headphones are so huge, no one will want to bother with me. I believe all of these modern tools can be very useful if used wisely, but sadly, there will always be those who would like to get a thrill out of causing trouble while remaining unknown. Eventually, more policing will be done, perhaps by way of new software preinstalled in the next generation of computer products we may purchase. Seeing how much trouble people are getting into with all the social networking sites, we may be encouraged to limit our usage of such tools. Great post, by the way.

    Submitted by Rob Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal Barker

    I agree with Rob and Julian on certain points about technology. It is art and it can be beautiful, and as a modern tool it is very useful.
    But,on the other hand, it is the misuse and over kill that make me wish for days gone by when you actually had to talk either face-to-face or over the phone with other people.

    While I do not wear headphones to tune people out or discourage conversation, the very creation and usage of the internet, blackberries,email and other forms of electronic technology have almost made the need for human interaction obsolete.

    I believe that technology or rather the trend to use electronics and automation are displacing American employees at an alarming rate. The computer industry is probably the most responsible for the mega job losses that Americans have suffered over the years. Computers do everything faster and cheaper,but not to the benefit of all.

    The advances of technology have come at great costs to the economic stability of many of the social underclasses. Losing jobs break up families and homes, wreck the social statuses of mothers and fathers and leave children feeling disadvantaged, unaccepted by their better off peers and even the objects of ridicule.

    Too much is enough. Did anybody see I Robot with Will Smith or Demolition Man with Wesley Snipes? Look out, next we'll really be having virtual intimate relations. That doesn't sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do completely agree with you Julian. Technology is no a problem in itself, but it is the wat technology is used. When you think sbout technology today there are alot of positive benefits. For example when you look throughout history and look at various medical problems there were but still exist today you can see how technology saved so many lives. Technology to me simplify our lives so much and makes it more enjoyable in some ways. I think that you should have held off telling that you are bias to the subject. But great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete