Monday, July 18, 2011

Casey's Escape...or Justice?

Submitted by P. Vann

The Casey Anthony trial made headlines throughout America. The question is why. People in the United States, adults and children, are murdered everyday. Many of these cases are not publicized, at least not to the extent of Anthony's case. Television, radio, and newspapers obviously affects social behavior.


The Internet was, and is still, filled with blogs that accuse Anthony of murdering her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. Americans have engaged in conversation and unified in agreement on accusing someone of something that they hadn't any facts of. The main reason for this is the nonmaterial culture of the U.S., with its beliefs and philosophies. The circumstances of the case does not sit well with the majority of American society. In the United States, it is very unusual to party and fail to notify authorities of your missing child's disappearance.

Although many American citizens assume that Anthony is guilty of murder, the United States government has rules to abide by. It is said that the accused are presumed innocent until proven guilty.This does not mean that one is actually thought of as innocent, but emphasizes the need of evidence to prove the guilt of the accused. Once, and if, proven of guilt, sanctions are given that are within the sentencing guidelines. These penalties can range from fines, jail time, and even death. In Anthony's case, she received a four year prison sentence and received time served.

The Casey Anthony case was the next hot topic. The nation was pumped for the outcome of the case like a season finale of a television drama. I found myself following the trial and anticipating the verdict. I even signed a petition for Caylee's law; a law that makes the failure of a parent to notify authorities of a missing child within 24 hours and failure to report a child's death within one hour a felony. Unlike those that are not important, support of Caylee has become a trend. Anger towards Anthony has become a trend as well. Resisting the "marketing techniques" of the case seemed almost impossible for me. I've seen, read, and heard about it more than anything advertised in any media. The awareness of my actions and others lead me to a greater respect for those who truly follow and fight for a cause, regardless of the attention put upon it.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with what you are saying. I also followed the case and watched on TV. At first, the media did affect the way I say the case. I gotthe impression that Casey's father had something to do with Cayelee's death. As I watched the case more I gained a totaly different view. As a parent I was upset to see this situation happen and for Casey to go free. I am still trying to figure out wat happened to Caylee. If you do a search on "Google" several articles come up and give vague information. I you find anything else out please keep me informed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This case was so disturbing. In my opinion she's guilty; I feel as though her father and mother are involved in some way. This family has some dark and perturbing secrets they're hiding. I do believe the media affected this case, especially Nancy Grace who is still talking about this case. Grace made this case into a spotlight frenzy, highlighting Casey with so much attention. So, Casey Anthony is free and will most likely profit from this trial by doing interviews, books and movie deals. A beautiful, innocent little girl died, and we will never know the truth about her death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This case made me sick to my stomache. Not only because of the horrible crime commited but because of how much attention it got. There are so many cases just like this but why dont they get the public's attention? I'll tell you why. We as a society only care about what the media and public figure, such as Nancey Grace, tell us to care about. If it wasnt for the media choosing this case and certain public figures speeking out this would jus be another forgoten case. It would come on the news, we would say "oh wow thats f*$ked up, this lady is guilty", and when nothing else is saidabout it we immediatly forget. If the Casey Anthony trial wasnt in our faces like it was, nobody would even remember nor care. To some this up, our society only cares about what the news medias, and public figures tell us to care about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole truthspokenJuly 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM

    Wow! Speechless. I agree with you about Americans who have engaged in conversation and unified in agreement on accusing someone of something that they hadn't any facts of. It goes on everyday. The saying goes, your guilty until proven innocent........

    ReplyDelete