Saturday, November 26, 2011

Whatever Happened to Acting Like Yourself?

A Discussions on Gender
By Jacqueline Butorsky


When I think about being a woman, I think of all the stereotypes that come to mind. Am I breaking gender rules by wearing this? What about the way I speak to others? I remember as a kid growing up, I would go outside and play in the dirt, digging up worms and giggling with my friends. My mother would always tell me it was disgusting and that "only boys did that". I always would reply, "Since when?" I figured since it was fun for me, why not allow me to do it? Other than the worms I was digging up, who was I really bothering? I can also remember when I was younger, probably around 7 or 8, I would play with my brother's G.I. Joe toys, instead of my usual Barbie dolls. I would get weird looks from my parents.

I guess my point is, society today places rules upon children when growing up. For a girl, you have to be feminine, appear mentally or physically inferior to men, want babies (and god knows plenty of them), act submissive, and a whole slew of "weak" characteristics. If you break any of those gender rules, you're a deviant. "Oh lordy, she's playing with boy toys. She must not be normal. She's going to grow up as a lesbian, watch out." I would hear this all the time growing up. Sexuality and mental state have nothing to do with wanting to play with toys that don't fit your gender. I still wear dresses, wear make up, etc., so the assumption that I would turn out manly was a crock.

Children today should be allowed to do what they wish. If little boys want to wear dresses, why not? Who is hurting, really? If little girls want to play with dump trucks, dig up worms, why not? Again, who is it hurting? What's more important here is keeping our children happy; not choosing what gender they belong to.

Here is another video about stereotypes:
Essentially, the video is assuming that a) men are superior, b) men get to do whatever they wish because of their superiority, c) because women appear to be the inferior sex/gender, men have all the advantages. This isn't to say that there aren't women out there who do not take advantages of gender discrimination laws, but because of gender stereotypes, women's upward mobility in life is quite limited. Somehow if one breaks out of these stereotypes, they are seen not only as deviants, but weirdo's, freaks, nonconformists, etc. Perhaps we need more nonconformists to rid society of these stereotypes.

4 comments:

  1. by Kirstin Carlson.

    I really relate to your blog. I was the same as a kid more worried about having fun than being 'girl' enough. It seems like society's opinion has a way of growing on you, though. Its like both men and women have to fit this specific role and are only allowed to wonder inside the boundaries of this 'role' unless they want to be considered an outcast for breaking social norms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By Marjorie Bartell

    I liked your blog, but I think it's important to look at not only the stereotypes put on women (which in many cases are much more outrageous), but also in men. One of my close friends is raising a 2 year old boy, and she got so excited recently because he picked out pink flower boots. She was so excited because he was doing something different, and that's what she wants for her child, to be himself, not to try and conform. There's so many parents who adhere to and expect their children to follow such strict gender roles, and that's the biggest thing that needs to change. The system is difficult to change without people to challenge it.

    My current way of challenging it is refusing to date men who can't keep their own spaces clean. No, I don't want to date a guy who has bugs, or disastrous apartment. Men should not be waiting around for some magic house wife to come into their life, people in general need to take care of themselves, and not expect people to fill their outdated gender roles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Amanda Knoll

    I relate to this as well!!! When I was young I was always outside playing in the creek and catching cray fish and had a pet snake and scorpion and everything. I hung out with my dad and brother a lot. It's funny because now I look pretty girly so a lot of people (usually men) think that I am a prissy girly girl. I have my girly side for sure, shopping, doing my hair and makeup, all of that. But there's a lot more to gender than meets the eye. I still like to go fishing and can bait my own hook and hang with the guys, but I can also get dressed up in heels and a cute dress and be a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Youn Hee Lee

    I agree with your blog since when children learn how to be girly or boys learn how to become a man, while they should be taught that there is nothing wrong with guys having a little feminine side or girls have a masculine side.I was sort of the tom boy when I growing up since i hung out with my guys cousins mostly but now I like shopping, make up and other girly stuff. When the opposite sex does something that doesn't relate to their gender, they are made fun of especially when it comes to guys. Children can be so cruel with each other especially when they do something abnormal.

    ReplyDelete