Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What is family? by Stacey Nelson


     What is Family? This is an important question that is often asked. Rather it's at the dinner table or in a political debate. As learned in class (soc 101), a family is one particular and ideal way. I belive the politically correct term is a nuclear family. The nuclear famiy consist of a bread winning or workin father, a mother who is a homemaker, white or caucasian and two biological children. In 1950's and 60's, the nuclear family was very popular. But, in today's society, that is a dream. Rather Black or White, there aren't that many around.

  
  Family is those around you. Those that are there when you need them. Most modern day families consist of working parents, rather one or two & two or more children. Some have grand -parents or aunts and uncles that play a big part in the upbringing of the children. In my opinion, your family is what and who means the most to you. It's what you work for and work hard to keep together.


   As a child, my family was made up of my father, my mother and 9 brothers and sisters. My father wasn't always physically around but financially he was the authority figure. My mother was the head of house. Although there was never enough space or bathroom time, having so many in one household had its advantages. There was never a dull moment. All the chores didn't fall on one person, we all had a reponsibility. It was also lots of love. The love I recieved from my family and watching the way my mother and father's relationship was taught me to be a strong and loving parent.



   I am a single parent of two children, both boy and girl. I am also a full-time employee as well as a full-time student. My responsibilites allows me to be a part of society. Throughout my daily travels, I'm able to learn about the world around me. My days are long and sometimes hard but because of the love I have and the passion of success for my family, it is well worth it. So now that i have told you about my family and how it gives me a belonging to society, tell me about yours. What does family mean to you? How does it make you a part of society?




1 comment:

  1. Ken Shaw

    I do agree with you but a lot of people didn't and still don't have that family structure. I for one did'nt for a while and considered the foster homes and group homes a source a family. I didn't receive the love or attention i seeked but they took me in a gave me a chance to spread my wings before being reunited with my biological mother. So to answer your question "What does family mean to you?" I would have to say that family is the group of supportive people who are looking out for your well being, regardless of being related or not.

    ReplyDelete