Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Hey Judges..Am I Pretty??

By: Mecca Abdullah


Pretty {prit-ee}

-adjective
1. Pleasing or attractive to the eye

This powerful adjective has a definite role in socialization. Centuries have passed and the concept of being beautiful has always been considered an advantage or plus to a persons character. But why is that? What or who is a pretty person? Why is that a factor in the oppurtunities I get and the decisions I make? We live in a world where looks are associated with a persons career and their self value. From an early age, I was told how beautiful I would grow up to be. As I got older, the media aroud me advertised the appealing.  That's programmed into our brains as an importmant factor. The issue is a persons self image. It's linked to how others feel about us. So if a person doesn't look like a magazines' version of beautiful, then are they not beautiful?


Ads, magazines, and commercials help define whats "beautiful" so we compare that to what we see in real life. If I do not fit Cosmopolitans features of beauty then I must be the oppsite. If we see beauty everywhere then its a desire that we want to capture. So if people don't see you as beautiful then that affects how you look at yourself. How you look at yourself then affects other aspects of your life such as, how well you do your job or how yu act in a public setting.  People make fun of insecurities but it's no laughing matter.

This issue can cause great short and long term damage to a person. We as people need to have our own defintion of beauty and not let the media define it. To view the growing issue among men and women you can visit the depression forums http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/topic/22069-i-feel-so-ugly/

No comments:

Post a Comment