Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I'd love you if you were green!

By: Shayna Butler 
       In April I will be marring the love of my life. At first my parents didn’t fully approve, because I am White and he is Korean. Growing up in a strict Adventist subculture my parents would always tell me, “Never marry outside your race or your religion.” They always told me that different races and religions wouldn’t work because relationships already has their struggles, why add different ideas into them? However, they grew up in a time where interracial and same sex marriages were frowned on.

America has always prided themselves on freedom. Yet, marrying different races, religions, and even having a same sex partner has slowly become a social norm. There are 6.8 million of people from different cultures that have embarked in an exogamy (marrying outside your social group) marriage and 150,000 people that have a same sex marriage. And still, same sex marriages aren't fully recognized in the some states. 
My fiancé and I have been together for five years, and granted to relationship is perfect, but having a different cultural background has never created a problem. It's been fun learning about the culture and what are the norms in Korea. And frankly, I cannot wait to raise my children in a Korean/American home. Yes, I will have to learn the language so my children can and I’m sure they’ll have kimchi and hamburgers for dinner. But most importantly, I hope they will never feel that race, religion, or sex should determine what they look for in a soulmate. 

 Reference: Wikipedia 

1 comment:

  1. By Amira Eldisoky, First congratulating, I agree with your opinion that in nowadays the marriage between different races is no more an obestical that can discomfort people when they choos their life partners or affect their decisions. Now, the society starts to accept many concepts such as the same sex marriage. But still there some people who are looking at it from a single camera perspective. They are biased because their perspectives are that to have a good marriage life both partner has to be equal which means in race,language, religion, education,even in some cultures are financially equal. They also see that the marriage between races will face many issues that will lead at the end to the divorce such as both partner has diffrent cultur, religion, life style, norms, and language. Moreover, when they have children they will start to face the big issue which is how to raise the children between these difrences. Now, your role is to show your family that getting marry to someone who is not from your race could be a successful marriage because it's not depending on others perspective but it depends onthe person you have chosen to continue your life with.

    ReplyDelete